[crypto] [eidma@TUE.nl: EIDMA Minicourse Iterative Decoding Techniques]

R. Hirschfeld ray@unipay.nl
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:24:54 +0100

Subject: EIDMA Minicourse Iterative Decoding Techniques
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:11:20 +0100
From: "Secretariaat EIDMA" <eidma@TUE.nl>

EIDMA Minicourse

Iterative Decoding Techniques
http://www.win.tue.nl/math/eidma/courses/minicourses/hagenauerurbanke/hagenauerurbanke.html
by

Prof.Dr.-Ing. Joachim Hagenauer, TU München, Germany and
Prof.Dr. Rüdiger L. Urbanke, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland.

Joachim Hagenauer <http://www.lnt.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de/mitarbeiter/hagenauer/hagenauer.html>  received the Dr.-Ing. degree in electrical engineering from the Technical University of Darmstadt, in 1974. In 1977 he joined the German Aerospace Research Establishment in Oberpfaffenhofen, where he became director of the Institute for Communications Technology in 1990. Since 1993 he is a full professor for Telecommunications at the TUM. Prof. Dr. Joachim Hagenauer is a Fellow of the IEEE since 1992, and a "Distinguished Lecturer" of IEEE Communications Society. In 2002 he was elected to the Bavarian Academy of Science (founded in 1759). His awards include the 1996 International E. H. Armstrong-Award of the IEEE Communications Society for "Sustained and outstanding contributions to communication and error correcting coding" and the 2003 IEEE Bell Medal "for contributions to soft decoding and its application to iterative decoding algorithms".

Rüdiger L. Urbanke <http://lthcwww.epfl.ch/people/ruediger.php>  received the Diplomingenieur degree from the Vienna Institute of Technology, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from Washington University, St. Louis, in 1995. From 1995 to 1999, he was at the Mathematics of Communications Department at Bell Labs. Since 1999, he has been on the faculty of EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland. Dr. Urbanke is an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. He is a co-recipient of the IEEE Information Theory Society 2002 Best Paper Award.
Contents
Part I - Joachim Hagenauer: The Turbo Principle in Communications.
This overview lecture shows that the 'Turbo-Principle' is a general principle in decoding and detection and can be applied to many detection/decoding problems such as parallel and serial concatenation, equalization, coded modulation, multi-user detection, multiple-input/multiple-output (MIMO) detection, joint source and channel decoding for Huffman Codes and continuous signals, analog decoders and others. In almost all cases we can describe the system as a serially concatenated system. We describe soft-in/soft-out decoding/detection techniques and how the feedback of extrinsic information which is the essential part of the turbo principle can be used in many communications receivers to improve performance through iterative processing. We will discuss examples from the above areas. As an analysis, visualization and design tool the extrinsic information transfer ( EXIT) charts of mutual information transfer are introduced. The lecture will include demonstrations of the turbo p!
rocess.
Part II - Rüdiger Urbanke: Analysis of Iterative Coding Schemes.
In the second part of this minicourse we will focus on the basic techniques used in the analysis of iterative coding schemes. Motivated by the factor graph approach, we will analyse the performance of the belief propagation decoder. We start with the asymptotic case of infinite blocklengths which will lead us to the notion of density evolution and threshold. We will then proceed to tackle the finite-length case and discuss the error-floor phenomenon as well as the mechanism responsible for the performance in the so-called ``waterfall region." Finally, we will discuss the intimate relationship between the maximum likelihood decoder and its iterative counterpart. In each case, we will give an exact analysis for the binary erasure case which will motivate the general approach.
Time and place
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, February 16 - 20, 2004.
Admission fee
The admission fee for this minicourse is EURO 700. However, our courses are free of charge for EIDMA members and for university students. Reductions or exemptions do apply to members of other academic insitiutes.
Registration
You can register by sending a completed registration form (http://www.win.tue.nl/math/eidma/REGISTRATIEFORMULIER.html) to ms. Henny Houben at eidma@tue.nl before February 1, 2004. If necessary, the total number of participants will be restricted to 60. Please note that your registation is only definite after our written confirmation.

E.I.D.M.A.
Euler Institute for Discrete Mathematics and its Applications

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
P.O. Box 513
5600 MB  Eindhoven
The Netherlands