[crypto] [eidma@TUE.nl: EIDMA minicourse by Prof. Sanjeev Arora]

R. Hirschfeld ray@unipay.nl
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:44:45 +0200

From: eidma@TUE.nl
To: eidma@TUE.nl
Subject: EIDMA minicourse by Prof. Sanjeev Arora
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:31:00 +0200

5-day minicourse

Approximation Schemes for NP-hard Geometric Problems
Prof. Sanjeev Arora, Princeton University,  USA.

Prof. Sanjeev Arora <http://www.cs.princeton.edu/%7Earora/>  obtained a PhD
in Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 1994 and joined the computer science
faculty at Princeton University, where he is now Associate Professor. He has
also held visiting positions at UC Berkeley (2001--2002) and Institute for
Advanced Study (2002-2003). His research concerns approximation algorithms
for NP-hard problems. His doctoral work (coauthored) concerned
Probabilistically Checkable Proofs (PCPs), and the surprising result that
for many NP-hard problems, computing approximate solutions is no easier than
computing exact solutions. He is currently interested in computational
complexity theory and in the design of approximation algorithms.
Sanjeev Arora was a cowinner of the ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award in 1995,
and of the EATCS-SIGACT Goedel Prize in 2001. He has also received the Sloan
and Packard fellowships.
Contents
Traveling Salesman, Steiner Tree, and many other famous geometric
optimization problems are NP-hard. Since we do not expect to design
efficient algorithms that solve these problems optimally, we should try to
design approximation algorithms, which can compute a provably near-optimal
solution.

Time and place
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, September 1 - 5, 2003.
Admission fee
The admission fee for a minicourse is EURO 680. However, our courses are
free of charge for EIDMA members and for univeristy students. Reductions or
exemptions do apply to members of other academic insitiutes.
Registration
You can register by sending an e-mail to ms. Henny Houben at eidma@tue.nl
<mailto:eidma@tue.nl>  before August 1, 2003.

http://www.win.tue.nl/math/eidma/courses/minicourses/Arora/arora.html
<http://www.win.tue.nl/math/eidma/courses/minicourses/Arora/arora.html>

______________________________________
E.I.D.M.A.
Euler Institute for Discrete Mathematics and its Applications

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
P.O. Box 513
5600 MB  Eindhoven
The Netherlands