[crypto] [Ronald.Cramer at cwi.nl: [risc-list] RISC at LEIDEN (Wed May 20): *modified schedule*]

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Wed May 20 11:38:00 CEST 2009

Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:08:16 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: [risc-list] RISC at LEIDEN (Wed May 20): *modified schedule*
From: Ronald.Cramer at cwi.nl

Dear Colleague,

there is a change in the program:

Prof Chaoping Xing's starts *30 min* earlier compared to my earlier RISC
announcent (which I quote once more below).

This means his talk is now scheduled to start at *1530h*.

Hope to see you in Leiden tomorrow,

best regards, Ronald Cramer

ps: see the Intercity Number Theory seminar page (link below) for
the full program.

Dear Colleague,

it is my pleasure to announce a special talk in our RISC-seminar series by
Professor Chaoping Xing (Singapore).

It will take place on *Wednesday, May 20* in *Leiden*, from 1600h to 1700h
at the Mathematical Institute (Snellius Bldg., Room 174).

The topic of the talk will be *algebraic geometric coding theory*.

[Note that Prof Xing's is also part of the *Intercity Number Theory
Seminar*. The program for the Intercity seminar starts at *1130h*, please
follow the Intercity-link given at the end of this message for the full
program. You are cordially invited to attend the other talks in this
program as well, of course!]

RISC-Talk:
When:
Wednesday, May 20, 1600h-1700h.

Where:
Leiden University, Mathematical Institute (Snellius Bdg.), Room 174

Speaker:
Chaoping Xing (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/XingCP/

Title:
Construction of algebraic curves over finite fields from linear codes and
vice versa.

Abstract.
The interrelationship between error correcting codes and algebraic curves
over finite fields with many rational points was discovered as early as
the 1980s with the invention of Goppa geometric codes. In this talk, we
present yet another method to show how linear codes and algebraic curves
are intertwined. More precisely, by using upper bound on linear codes, we
can show existence of algebraic curves over finite fields with many
rational points. On the other hand, by using upper bounds on algebraic
curves, we can construct good linear codes.

Hope to see you on May 20!

Yours sincerely, Ronald Cramer (also on behalf of Bart de Smit)

http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~desmit/ic/current.html
http://www.cwi.nl/crypto/risc.html
http://www.cwi.nl/~cramer