[crypto] [eidma at TUE.nl: 2 PhD positions, TU Eindhoven and “Call for Papers 4th Benelux WISSec 2009 – Extended deadline September 17” ]
ray at unipay.nl
Mon Sep 14 14:53:21 CEST 2009
------- Start of forwarded message -------
From: Secretariaat EIDMA <eidma at TUE.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:53:33 +0200
- ---- Apologies for multiple copies ----
The Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has the following vacancy
PhD Student CREST project (2 fte)(V32.046)
at Security of Embedded Systems (SEC) and Coding Theory and Cryptology
(CC) Department of Mathematics and Computer science
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science provides
undergraduate and MSc programs in Mathematics and in Computer Science.
The department has research collaborations with other departments at the
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven as well as with a large number of
other universities and companies, both at home and abroad. The
Department has approximately 350 employees and more than 700 students.
The CREST project (Collusion RESistant Tracing) investigates the
resilience of digital watermarks against coalition attacks. A watermark
is a sequence of hidden data embedded in audio/video, and is intended
e.g. to trace the origin and distribution of files. A collusion attack
is an attempt by multiple people, who each possess a differently marked
version of the same file, to remove or distort the watermark.
The cat-and-mouse game of attack and defense gives rise to some highly
nontrivial mathematics, involving combinatorics, coding theory,
information theory and cryptography. The practical side is equally
complex, with much work in progress on attack strategies, signal
processing attacks, optimal code constructions, efficient decoding
algorithms, and embedding methods.
CREST is a joint project of EIPSI (Eindhoven Institute for the
Protection of Systems and Information) and industrial partners. The aim
of the CREST project is to make progress on both the mathematical
understanding and practical realization of collusion resistant watermarking.
We have openings for two PhD students.
One PhD student will do research in the Coding & Crypto group, the other
in the Security group. These groups are located on the same floor and
together form the EIPSI Institute. We expect a significant amount of
overlap in the research of the two students.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following requirements:
* a MSc in Mathematics, Computer Science, Theoretical Physics or a
* affinity with probabilistic methods;
* good communicative skills in English, both written and oral.
Appointment and Salary
* a full-time temporary appointment for a period of 4 years;
* a gross monthly salary of € 2,042 during the first year, increasing
gradually to € 2,612 per month during the fourth year of the appointment;
* a broad package of fringe benefits (e.g. excellent technical
infrastructure, child care, savings schemes, and excellent sports
More information can be obtained from:
* regarding the project content: dr. B. Skoric, phone +31(0)40-2474870,
e-mail: b.skoric at tue.nl
* regarding the job conditions: Mrs. P.J. Evers, HR advisor, email:
pzwin at tue.nl
Interested candidates are invited to send their application by e-mail
to: pzwin at tue.nl
The application should consist of the following parts:
* a curriculum vitae;
* an explanation of your interest in the proposed research field;
* a complete list of attended courses and corresponding grades,
references, and all other information that might be relevant;
* proof of English language skills (if applicable).
Please include the job vacancy code: V32.046
You can apply for this job before 15-10-2009.
- ---- Apologies for multiple copies ----
CALL FOR PAPERS:
4th Benelux Workshop on Information and System Security.
November 19-20, 2009, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.
The purpose of the workshop is to share ideas, experiences and information on the following, or related, topics:
* Design and analysis of cryptographic algorithms
* Cryptographic and security protocols, formal verification
* Network security, Internet security, Wireless security
* Security for embedded systems, smart cards and RFID
* Security of software and hardware systems
* Privacy enhancing technologies
* E-voting, e-banking, e-governement
* Financial cryptography and security
* Content protection, DRM, watermarking
* Standards for information security
* Legal and social aspect of information security
* Ethical hacking, protection against malware, spam
The workshop intends to give both experienced and young researchers from the Benelux and surrounding areas an opportunity to present their work and to get feedback. We would also like to encourage other international researchers to contribute to the workshop.
The workshop will *not have formal proceedings*, hence papers submitted to WISSec 2009 can be submitted to other workshops, conferences, journals as well.
* September 17, 2009 - New submission deadline.
* October 17, 2009 - Notification of acceptance.
* November 10, 2009 - Deadline conference registration.
* November 19-20, 2009 - Workshop
------- End of forwarded message -------
More information about the crypto