[crypto] [secdm at tue.nl: REMINDER: Crypto Working Group, November 29, 2013]

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Wed Nov 27 19:28:00 CET 2013

From: Secretariaat DM <secdm at tue.nl>
Subject: REMINDER: Crypto Working Group, November 29, 2013
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:03:24 +0000

CRYPTO WORKING GROUP

Friday, November 29, 2013

                                                De Kargadoor (http://www.kargadoor.nl/utrecht/zaalverhuur.html)
                                                Oudegracht 36, Utrecht

Program

10.45 - 11.30 hrs.   Paulo Barreto (Univ. of São Paulo),
Code-based cryptosystems targeting small embedded devices

                                               (Abstract below)

11.30 -  11.45 hrs.   Coffee / tea break

11.45 - 12.30 hrs.    Jurjen Bos (Equens),
Three paradoxical subjects from cryptography practice

12.30 -  14.00 hrs.   Lunch break (lunch not included)

14.00 - 14.45 hrs.    Gergely Alpar (RU Nijmegen),
Crypto and Beyond: from ABCs to IRMA

(Abstract below)

14.45 - 15.00 hrs.    Coffee / tea break

15.00 - 15.45 hrs.    Dan Bernstein (TU/e),
                                               Failures of secret-key cryptography

Abstract talk Paulo Barreto: Code-based cryptosystems targeting small embedded devices

The family of code-based cryptosystems is one of the main lines of post-quantum proposals, alongside lattice-based, multivariate, and hash-based schemes. Historically, this family has been plagued by large keys and cryptograms, as well as fairly intricate algorithms for their manipulation, posing a considerable obstacle to its actual deployment. In this talk I argue that, contrary to what may seem, code-based encryption turns out to be efficient enough as to be a viable option, not only for high-end systems, but remarkably also on very constrained platforms typical of the Internet of Things.

Abstract talk Gergely Alpar: Crypto and Beyond: from ABCs to IRMA
Irma is not only a name. Irma is not only the name of our (trusted) secretary at our department. But IRMA is also a research project about putting attribute-based (a.k.a. anonymous) credentials in practice.
Attribute-based credentials (ABCs) are digital versions of paper documents, such as passports, train tickets, or birth certificates. Similarities include properties that the issuer of a document does not know when and where they are verified and that verification instances are unlinkable to each other. (Note the difficulties to achieve this digitally.) However, ABCs offer more by enabling the credential owner to show just a part of information, that is, a subset of attributes. This process is called selective disclosure. Therefore, during authorisation someone can prove only relevant information and nothing more. This makes applications more efficient and much more privacy friendly.
IRMA (https://www.irmacard.org) is based on an efficient smart-card implementation of Idemix, the most advanced ABC cryptographic technique. Our goal in this project is to build a whole framework that offers a secure, transparent, and comprehensible infrastructure and application prototypes for privacy-friendly authorisation. To have an impact in governmental, academic, and business contexts while preserving efficiency and the essential security properties, we have to make decisions in terms of cryptographic features, certification, user interfaces, etc. Furthermore, the engineering and implementation efforts raise many new research challenges.
This talk, including live demonstrations, is about the most interesting aspects of IRMA. First, I give a high-level overview about why we need IRMA and what are the main requirements. Second, I introduce the essential cryptographic primitives and protocols for ABCs. Then, I talk about exciting choices and new developments. Finally, I show our pilot project that we have just started with security students and discuss some on-going research and open questions.