[crypto] [secdm at tue.nl: Program Crypto Working Group, February 28, 2014]

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Thu Feb 20 13:19:00 CET 2014

From: Secretariaat DM <secdm at tue.nl>
Subject: Program Crypto Working Group, February 28, 2014
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:37:30 +0000

Dear all,

Herewith I send you the program of the CWG-meeting on Friday, February 28, 2014.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Anita Klooster
secretary of the section Discrete Mathematics

[cid:image001.gif at 01CB8FB5.88A9C0F0]

Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science
MF 4.058
Office hours: Monday and Friday 08.30-12.30 h / Tuesday and Wednesday 08.30-17.00 h
Telephone: +31 (0)40 2472254
Email: secdm at tue.nl<mailto:secdm at tue.nl>

CRYPTO WORKING GROUP

Friday, February 28, 2014

                                                De Kargadoor (http://www.kargadoor.nl/utrecht/zaalverhuur.html)
                                                Oudegracht 36, Utrecht

Program

10.45 - 11.30 hrs.   Pieter Rogaar (NCSC-NL),

                                               TBA

11.30 -  11.45 hrs.   Coffee / tea break

11.45 - 12.30 hrs.    Michael Hutter (TU Graz),
Thermo Attacks
                                               (Abstract below)

12.30 -  14.00 hrs.   Lunch break (lunch not included)

14.00 - 14.45 hrs.    René van Slooten

                                               The cryptography of Edgar Allan Poe

                                               (Abstract below)

14.45 - 15.00 hrs.    Coffee / tea break

15.00 - 15.45 hrs.    Ludo Tolhuizen (Philips Research),

HIMMO: a lightweight ID-based collusion-resistant key establishment scheme

(joint work with Oscar Garcia-Morchon and Ronald Rietman of Philips Research, Domingo Gomez,

Jaime Gutierrez and Santos Merino del Pozo of the University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain)

Abstract talk Michael Hutter: Thermo Attacks

In this talk, we present practical results of data leakages of CMOS devices via the temperature side channel - a side channel that has been widely cited in literature but not well characterized yet. We investigate the leakage of processed data by passively measuring the dissipated heat of the devices. The temperature leakage is thereby linearly correlated with the power leakage model but is limited by the physical properties of thermal conductivity and capacitance. We further present heating faults by operating the devices beyond their specified temperature ratings. The efficiency of this kind of attack is shown by a practical attack on an RSA implementation. Finally, we introduce data remanence attacks on AVR microcontrollers that exploit the Negative Bias Temperature Instability (NBTI) property of internal SRAM cells. We show how to recover parts of the internal memory and present first results on an ATmega162. The work encourages the awareness of temperature-based attacks!
  that are known for years now but not well described in literature.

Abstract talk René van Slooten: The cryptography of Edgar Allan Poe

1. A short introduction about Edgar Allan Poe (because he is probably the most misunderstood writer of all time).

2. Poe's cryptographic techniques (the story 'The Gold Bug' and his essay 'Some words on secret writing').

3. Poe and William F. Friedman ('the father of American cryptography' and one of the founders of the NSA).

4. Are there hidden messages in Poe's work? And how can they be deciphered? (That is my question to you!)