[crypto] [leo.ducas at cwi.nl: [risc-list] RISC at CWI (Thu Sept 1): Randomness on the blockchain]

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Tue Aug 30 12:12:03 CEST 2016

From: Leo Ducas <leo.ducas at cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:13:49 +0200
Subject: [risc-list] RISC at CWI (Thu Sept 1): Randomness on the blockchain

Dear Colleagues,
we cordially invite you to to a RISC Seminar taking place at CWI
	 * Thursday September 1st, 2016, from 14:30 to 15:30 *		 * in CWI, Amsterdam, Room L017 *
Talk:Benjamin Wesolowski (EPFL, LACAL), * Randomness on the blockchain*
abstract:Trustworthy generation of public random numbers is necessary for thesecurity of many cryptographic applications. It was suggested to use theinherent unpredictability of blockchains as a source of publicrandomness, for lotteries, smart contracts or election auditing. Weanalyse this idea and show how an adversary could manipulate theserandom numbers, even with limited computational power and financialbudget. We discuss other solutions to securely generate publicrandomness, and how to integrate external sources into Bitcoin.
See you then and there!