[crypto] Fwd: ECC 2020 - the update you've all been waiting for

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Tue Oct 6 22:45:00 CEST 2020

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: ECC 2020 - the update you've all been waiting for
Date: 2020-10-06 21:43
 From: Tanja Lange <tanja at hyperelliptic.org>
To: ecc10 at hyperelliptic.org

	ECC 2020 will take place online Oct 28 – 30
	in a different format

ECC 2020 was meant to take place in Taipei, Taiwan, Oct 28 – 30 but due
to the
international travel situtation we will be meeting online instead.

ECC serves many purposes and the talks are just one (very important)
aspect.
We think that this year has made talks more accessible to everybody,
with
most events having no or low registration fees and videos being posted
online. This is very good for inclusiveness and we're happy about this
part
of the development.

We also understand that it's easy to get lost in too many talks and see
ECC as a way to highlight the latest developments in ECC and give a good
overviews of relevant adjacent areas. For this year, we will replace the
talk part by a curated list of talks with links to videos given during
the
past year. This igives a nod to the researchers that we would have liekd
to see them speak and hopefully helps as a guide through the jungle of
too many videos.

But ECC is also about community, about bringing people together who
share
an interest in ellitic curves and cryptography. Watching videos and
taking
part in the bigger workshops cannot replace ECC. During the originally
scheduled days of the conference we'll host a few panel discussion (yes,
we know, timezones; you'll sure be ahle to catch one and hopefully two
during your daytime), will have a Zulip chat for questions to the panels
and discussions that benefit from typing latex (yes, there is Latex
support in that chat room), and some interactive coffee breaks where you
can hang around with your favorite ECC people and meet new ones. The
panel discussions wll be sreamed on youtube and the coffee breaks will
be
hosted on www.wonder.me

Hope to see you online at the end of the month and in person in Taipei
next year. Stay tuned for updates

	Tanja (on behalf of the ECC steering committee)