[crypto] Fwd: [cis-seminars] [charles-river-crypto-day] Charles River Crypto Day (Virtual) on Friday, Feb 12

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Mon Feb 1 22:33:36 CET 2021

Not local, but virtual.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [cis-seminars] [charles-river-crypto-day] Charles River Crypto
Day (Virtual) on Friday, Feb 12
Date: 2021-02-01 20:42
 From: Daniel Wichs <wichs at ccs.neu.edu>
To: charles-river-crypto-day at googlegroups.com
Cc: Vinod Vaikuntanathan <vinod.nathan at gmail.com>

Dear All,

  Join us virtually for the next Charles River Crypto Day on Friday, Feb
12.
See below (or
https://bostoncryptoday.wordpress.com/2021/02/01/friday-feb-12-virtual/)
for
the program.

  Zoom link: https://northeastern.zoom.us/j/91945100564

best,
Ran, Yael, Vinod, Daniel

Program:
10:30 – 11:30. Nick Spooner, BU
Proof-Carrying Data without Succinct Arguments
11:45 – 12:45. Dima Kogan, Stanford
Private Information Retrieval with Sublinear Online Time
12:45 – 1:30. Lunch
1:30 – 3:15. Alex Bredariol Grilo (CNRS/Sorbonne)
and James Bartusek (UC Berkeley)
(double feature with 15 min break in the middle)
Secure Computation is in MiniQCrypt
3:30-4:30. Justin Holmgren, NTT Research
Error Correcting Codes for Uncompressed Messages
Abstracts:

Speaker: Nick Spooner, BU
Title: Proof-Carrying Data without Succinct Arguments

Abstract: Proof-carrying data (PCD) is a powerful cryptographic
primitive
that enables mutually distrustful parties to perform distributed
computations that run indefinitely. Prior approaches to construct PCD
are
based on succinct non-interactive arguments of knowledge (SNARKs) that
have
a succinct verifier or a succinct accumulation scheme. In this talk I
will
describe how to obtain PCD without relying on SNARKs. In particular, we
construct a PCD scheme given any non-interactive argument of knowledge
(e.g., with linear-size proofs) that has a split accumulation scheme,
which
is a weak form of accumulation that we introduce. We then exploit this
new
framework to achieve a more efficient PCD construction, by giving an
accumulation scheme for a non-interactive argument of knowledge for R1CS
with constant verification time. Our results are supported by a modular
and
efficient implementation.

Speaker: Dima Kogan (Stanford)
Title: Private Information Retrieval with Sublinear Online Time

Abstract: We present the first protocols for private information
retrieval
that allow fast (sublinear-time) database lookups without increasing the
server-side storage requirements. To achieve these efficiency goals, our
protocols work in an offline/online model. In an offline phase, which
takes
place before the client has decided which database bit it wants to read,
the client fetches a short string from the servers. In a subsequent
online
phase, the client can privately retrieve its desired bit of the database
by
making a second query to the servers. By pushing the bulk of the
server-side computation into the offline phase (which is independent of
the
client’s query), our protocols allow the online phase to complete very
quickly—in time sublinear in the size of the database. Finally, we prove
that our protocols are optimal in terms of the trade-off they achieve
between communication and running time.

Joint work with Henry Corrigan-Gibbs.

Speaker: Alex Bredariol Grilo (CNRS/Sorbonne) and James Bartusek (UC
Berkeley)
Title: Secure Computation is in MiniQCrypt

Abstract: MiniQCrypt is a world where quantum-secure one-way functions
exist, and quantum communication is possible. This talk will show that
simulation-secure oblivious transfer is in MiniQCrypt, and thus that
secure
multi-party computation of any quantum functionality is in MiniQCrypt.
The
main technical contribution is a construction of extractable and
equivocal
bit commitment from quantum-secure one-way functions, which is used to
instantiate the Bennet-Brassard-Crépeau-Skubiszewska (CRYPTO 91)
framework
to yield simulation-secure OT.

This is a joint work with Andrea Coladangelo, Dakshita Khurana, Fermi Ma
(
https://arxiv.org/abs/2011.13486), and Huijia Lin, Fang Song, Vinod
Vaikuntanathan (https://arxiv.org/abs/2011.14980).

Speaker: Justin Holmgren (NTT Research)
Title: Error Correcting Codes for Uncompressed Messages

Abstract: Most types of messages we transmit (e.g., video, audio,
images,
text)
are not fully compressed, since efficient compression algorithms
can fail to reach the information-theoretic limit. In this
work, we study the transmission of partially compressed messages
over a noisy channel, noting that these messages may have additional
structure that is unused by standard error correcting codes.

We introduce a model in which “well-formed” messages comprise a
small fraction of all strings, and are recognizable. In this model,
we construct a (probabilistic) encoding procedure that achieves
better tradeoffs between data rates and error-resilience (compared to
just applying a standard error correcting code).

Surprisingly, our techniques also yield better tradeoffs in the standard
setting
where all binary strings are valid messages.