[crypto] Fwd: [CWG] Next Crypto Working Group, June 2

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Fri May 26 15:45:28 CEST 2023

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [CWG] Next Crypto Working Group, June 2
Date: 2023-05-26 15:10
 From: Hülsing, Andreas <a.t.huelsing at tue.nl>
To: "Tanja Lange (tanja at hyperelliptic.org)" <tanja at hyperelliptic.org>,
"simonas at cs.ru.nl" <simonas at cs.ru.nl>, "Z.Erkin at tudelft.nl"
<Z.Erkin at tudelft.nl>, "Guarise Vieira, Heloise"
<h.guarise.vieira at tue.nl>

Dear all,

Please find the detailed program for the next crypto working group
below.

Hope to see you in Utrecht!

Andreas, Simona, Tanja, Zeki

-------------------

CRYPTO WORKING GROUP

Friday, June 02, 2023
De Kargadoor (http://www.kargadoor.nl/utrecht/zaalverhuur.html)
Oudegracht 36, Utrecht

Program

10:45 - 11:30 Robert Subroto (RU)
               Decomposition of finite commutative semisimple group
algebras, and some applications in cryptography

11:30 - 11:45 Coffee / tea break

11:45 - 12:30 Mike Hamburg (Rambus)
               Constant-sum encoding

12:30 - 14:00 Lunch break (lunch not included)

14:00 - 14:45 Chenglu Jin (CWI)
               Towards Remote Verifiable Computation without Digital
Secrets

14:45 - 15:00 Coffee / tea break

15:00 - 15:45 Zekeriya Erkin (TU Delft)
            Financial Crime Detection with Privacy

Abstracts

Robert Subroto (RU)

*Decomposition of finite commutative semisimple group algebras, and some
applications in cryptography*

We present a full decomposition of finite commutative semisimple group
algebras, which are a type of algebraic objects with many applications
in coding theory and cryptography.
Important results include a formula for counting the number of simple
components, together with a strong criterion to determine invertibility
of elements in the group algebra.

Besides being of mathematical interest, these results are also useful
for studying algebraic properties of certain cryptographic functions
which rely on these group algebras.
An interesting example are Circulant Column Parity Mixers (CCPMs), which
are a class of linear boolean functions used in well-known cryptographic
primitives like Keccak-f and Xoodoo.
These CCPMs can be redefined as module endomorphisms over such a group
algebra, giving it a more simplified and natural flavour.
By doing so, many non-trivial results are now trivial consequences of
results of the decomposition of the group algebra.

Another interesting application can be found in the the post-quantum
cryptographic scheme LEDAcrypt, where they rely on verifying
invertibility of circulant matrices in an efficient way.
This again relates to the structure of the decomposition of the group
algebra.

Mike Hamburg (Rambus)

*Constant-sum encoding*

One-time signatures such as XMSS, LMS and SPHINCS+ need to encode hashes
of messages so that the encoding one hash cannot, in every position, be
greater or equal to the encoding of another hash.  They achieve this
using a checksum encoding technique.  If we could instead use a
constant-sum encoding technique, then signatures would have constant
signing and verification time, and might also be slightly smaller and
faster.  However, constant-sum encoding is rather complicated, and with
existing proposals requires either large tables or large binomial
coefficient calculations.  Here I will go over some new ideas to make
these algorithms smaller and more efficient.

Chenglu Jin (CWI)

*Towards Remote Verifiable Computation without Digital Secrets*

he development of secure processor architecture technology has seen many
challenges. It turns out difficult to implement efficient resource
sharing and at the same time eliminate or protect against side channels
as a result of shared caches and other buffers. For this reason,
implemented hardware isolation cannot provide confidential computing (as
of yet). Nevertheless, the hardware isolation for access control as
implemented by micro code and added circuitry cannot be circumvented and
this allows for verifiable computation. However, even though
computations can be isolated in enclaves, how can we provide remote
attestation of computed output? Remote attestation requires digital
secrets which may leak due to side channels. We show two puzzle pieces
which together can be used to implement remote attestation without
secure digital computation or digital secrets: We use a strong PUF for
masking ‘session signing keys’ and we use these in a new one-time
signature primitive. In essence, computing a signature for an output
boils down to directly reading out a signature from unmasked digital
storage.

Zekeriya Erkin (TU Delft)

*Financial Crime Detection with Privacy*

Privacy-enhancing technologies, particularly MPC, have been questioned
about their practicality. Last summer, a competition was organized by
the USA and UK governments ( U.S.-U.K. PETs Prize Challenges), where
privacy researchers were tasked to solve the fraud detection problem
using machine learning algorithms while providing privacy guarantees to
banks and their users. For this purpose, we developed the cryptographic
part of the solution, where the result is a custom protocol that allows
payment providers to check whether a user's credentials match the
credentials in a bank's database without the bank learning any
information about the user. At the same time, the payment provider never
has access to the bank's database. These seemingly-impossible
constructions are made possible using a particular type of encryption
called homomorphic encryption. The competition results show that
privacy-enhancing technologies are fast enough to be practically
deployable. They provide solutions for problems that are otherwise hard
to address without exposing private data.

We are glad to announce that our team from the Delft University of
Technology and researchers from the University of Washington Tacoma won
second place as the "PPML Huskies" team.

In this talk, we will investigate the proposed approach that wins a
prize and the competition itself.