[crypto] Fwd: [risc-list] RISC at CWI (Wed Jan 24): Cryptography in a Quantum World

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Wed Jan 17 17:09:15 CET 2024

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [risc-list] RISC at CWI (Wed Jan 24): Cryptography in a Quantum
World
Date: 2024-01-17 15:36
 From: Serge Fehr <fehr at cwi.nl>
To: risc-list at cwi.nl

Dear Colleagues,

we are excited to announce our next RISC seminar, on the occasion of the
PhD defense of Jelle Don (see Post-Scriptum 2). The topic of the seminar
will be:

              *Cryptography in a Quantum World*

and the event will be taking place at CWI Amsterdam next week on

      *Wednesday January 24, 2024, in Room L017*

starting at *14:00h* .

The schedule is as follows (see Post-Scriptum 1 below for the
abstracts):

14:00 - 14:45 Jelle Don (Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica, Cryptology
group): (New) applications of the measure-and-reprogram technique
14:45 - 15:00 break
15:15 - 15:45 Florian Speelman (University of Amsterdam & QuSoft):
Relating non-local quantum computation to information theoretic
cryptography
15:45 - 16:00 break
16:00 - 16:45 Dominique Unruh (University of Tartu & RWTH Aachen
University): Towards compressed permutation oracles

NB, the RISC web page https://projects.cwi.nl/crypto/risc.php is
currently not working (we are looking into the matter).

See you then and there!

Best regards,
- Serge Fehr and Ronald Cramer

Post-Scriptum 1

These are the abstracts:

Jelle Don. (New) applications of the measure-and-reprogram technique:

The measure-and-reprogram technique (Don, Fehr, Majenz and Schaffner,
Crypto 2019) is a proof technique for security reductions in the quantum
random-oracle model (QROM). In the original application, the technique
is used to prove the Fiat-Shamir transformation secure in the QROM. For
the FS reduction, we need to inject a challenge from the sigma-protocol
challenger into one of the adversary's queries (chosen at random), and
hope that the adversary will solve the challenge for us. In the QROM,
apart from reprogramming the oracle, this strategy requires us to
measure the chosen query. The obstacle to overcome here is then the
disturbance to the adversary's quantum state caused by the measurement,
which in general makes it hard to predict the adversary's behavior from
the measurement on.
In this talk we will recap the technique and give an intuition for why,
in the right context, we are able to bound the disturbance mentioned
above. We will then highlight some more recent results that apply the
technique in a conceptually novel way. In particular, we will see that
it can be applied in contexts where challenge injection is not the goal.

Florian Speelman. Relating non-local quantum computation to information
theoretic cryptography: Abstract TBA.

Dominique Unruh. Towards compressed permutation oracles:

Compressed oracles (Zhandry, Crypto 2019) are a powerful technique to
reason about quantum random oracles, enabling a sort of lazy sampling in
the presence of superposition queries. A long-standing open question is
whether a similar technique can also be used to reason about random
(efficiently invertible) permutations.
In this work, we make a step towards answering this question. We first
define the compressed permutation oracle and illustrate its use. While
the soundness of this technique (i.e., the indistinguishability from a
random permutation) remains a conjecture, we show a curious 2-for-1
theorem: If we use the compressed permutation oracle methodology to show
that some construction (e.g., Luby-Rackoff) implements a random
permutation (or strong qPRP), then we get the fact that this methodology
is actually sound for free.

Post-Scriptum 2

For those also interested in attending the PhD defense of Jelle Don, the
information follows: