[crypto] [Fwd: [risc-list] RISC at CWI April 2: Kenny Paterson]

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Wed Mar 7 14:51:23 CET 2012

Subject: [risc-list] RISC at CWI April 2: Kenny Paterson
From:    "Ronald Cramer" <Ronald.Cramer at cwi.nl>
Date:    Wed, March 7, 2012 14:44
To:      risc-list at cwi.nl

Dear Colleagues,

it is a pleasure to announce a RISC talk on the security of Internet
communications by

                Professor Kenny Paterson (Royal Holloway, University of
London),

entitled
                          TLS and DTLS: A Tale of Two Protocols

Abstract and speaker bio are included below.

It will take place at CWI Amsterdam, The Netherlands, on *Monday April 2*,
2012.

============
Time: 1600h-1700h.
Place: L017 (ground floor, new wing)
Abstract: see http://projects.cwi.nl/crypto/risc.html
============

See you then and there!

Ronald Cramer

Abstract for Professor Paterson's talk:
======================================

TLS and DTLS: A Tale of Two Protocols

TLS is the de facto protocol of choice for securing Internet
communications, while DTLS is an increasingly important variant of TLS
that was designed for use in lightweight applications. In this talk, I
will provide an overview of what is known about the security of the TLS
and DTLS protocols. I’ll discuss the BEAST attack on TLS and what its
implications are. I’ll also talk about a recently discovered
vulnerability in TLS 1.2, as well as what we know about the provable
security of the protocol. I'll then explain how and why DTLS
implementations turn out to be more vulnerable than TLS to padding oracle
attacks. The talk will assume knowledge of basic cryptography and
networking, but will be as self-contained as possible.

Biography:
==========

Kenny obtained his BSc (Hons) in 1990 from the University of Glasgow and a
PhD from the University of London in 1993, both in mathematics. He was a
Royal Society Fellow at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich,
from 1993 to 1994, investigating algebraic properties of block ciphers.
After that, he was Lloyd's of London Tercentenary Foundation Fellow at the
University of London from 1994 to 1996, working on digital signatures. He
joined the mathematics group at Hewlett-Packard Laboratories Bristol in
November 1996, becoming project manager in 1999. His technical work there
involved him in international standards setting, internal consultancy on a
wide range of mathematical and cryptographic subjects, and intellectual
property generation. In 2001, Kenny re-joined Royal Holloway as a
Lecturer, becoming Reader in 2002 and Professor in 2004. In March 2010,
Kenny commenced a 5-year research fellowship funded by EPSRC on the topic
of "Cryptography: Bridging Theory and Practice". He was Program Chair for
Eurocrypt 2011, serves on the editorial board of the Journal of
Cryptology, and continues to consult to industry and government. Kenny's
research interests span a wide range of topics in theoretical and applied
cryptography, and information security.